Over the last year or so the drone industry has boomed, the trend has been to get drones smaller and smaller without impacting on power, and DJI may have just won the race. Yesterday, they announced the Spark, a mini-drone that’s as light and small as it is powerful. Here are some facts that may set it apart from the rest and become one of the best bang-for-your-buck drones on the market.
- The DJI Spark weighs in at just 0.6 pounds.
- It will cost just $499, cheaper than any of DJI’s drones thus far.
- It will have ActiveTrack and TapFly, which were present in DJI’s premium Phantom 4 drone.
- You can use gesture control to maneuver the drone in any direction.
- … or use a smartphone to control it up to 109 yards away.
- Battery life for the Spark is 16 minutes on a full charge.
- It will charge via Micro USB.
- There will be an accessory pack you can purchase including a charging hub, propeller guards, an extra battery and a remote control.
- The Spark can capture 1080p video and 12-megapixel still photos.
- It has onboard sensors that allow it to dodge obstacles.
- Its top speed will be about 31 miles per hour.
- It will be available in five colors: Alpine White, Sky Blue, Meadow Green, Lava Red, and Sunrise Yellow.
- The Spark will ship on June 15th: you can preorder here.
— DJI (@DJIGlobal) May 24, 2017
For more on the DJI Spark, and a bit more of a relaxed overview of it, check out YouTuber Julien Solomita’s hands-on with it: