The Facebook application for Android devices was updated today and a whole bunch of exciting new features were added.
Facebook lists the top features in this update as follows.
- Made it easier to share with who you want
- Improved the sharing tool to add privacy controls on posts and match your settings on the web site
- Added the ability to tag friends and places in posts
- Added new design for Profile and Group Walls
- Fixes and tweaks:
- Improved photo browsing with swiping
- Added the ability to tag your friends in photos
- Improved Messages and Notifications
- Fixed a number of crashes and performance issues
What this means is you get a new stand-alone posting interface which allows you to tag friends, places and add photos. The UI also uses more of the mobile site now; for example, when viewing groups and profiles, the walls appear as they do in the mobile site with some slight modifications. The News Feed and other lists- including notifications- now have the ‘slide to refresh’ feature implemented. The Messages section of the app now also uses the mobile site.
I personally believe that Facebook has gone too far towards fast information; they have lost much of the great UI which kept them above the 3rd party competition, but now they seem to be headed in the direction of a simple website.