Google have come out with a new update for their Android version of maps.
What's in this version:
- Get GPS stop-by-stop public transit directions in Navigation (Beta)
- Get directions in less clicks with the updated directions experience
- Receive search suggestions based on previous direction destinations and visited Place pages
- Improved battery power management for Navigation (Beta)
However I feel like they missed out a big new feature which a lot of people have been looking for.
We all know the trouble of when we're going to our destination but a long the route the device loses signal so the app cannot download the rest of the route. Well Google have added a new feature in the labs called "Download map area". It enables you to download the map within a 10 mile radius of wherever you like.
Here's how to enable it:
- Go into maps and hit the menu button
- Go to "more", in the bottom right corner
- Go to "Labs", should be at the top of the list
- When in "Labs" you should find a feature called "Download map area", just tap on it and it will enable it
After that you can choose whatever areas you like to download. All you have to do is:
- Hold down an area, a tab should come up, hit the arrow in that tab
- It should give you more info about the area, at the bottom you'll see "Download map area"
- It will then download the map within a 10 mile radius of that area
It's a great new feature which I will definitely be using and could see come in very handy.