In this tutorial we will learn how to use smart objects, filters and adjustment layers in Photoshop to convert any photograph into a stylish blurred mosaic background. This is ideal for producing custom backgrounds for your phone, tablet or desktop.
1. Create a new document in Photoshop with the dimensions 3000 x 2000 pixels. This should cover most devices and screen resolutions.
2. Next, place a high-quality image you want to work with into your document. Be sure the image layer is converted Smart Object. You can resize the image by right-clicking and selecting 'Free Transform'. the transform to to fill the document canvas.
3. On the image layer apply a Gaussian Blur filter with a radius of 250 pixels. Duplicate this layer and rename the layers Image 2. (Use image for reference).
4. On the Image 2 layer, select Filer > Pixelate > Crystallize. Now Duplicate layer 2 and rename the new layer 'Image 3'. Make sure the layers decent from 3 to 1. (Use image for reference).
5. Next, on the Image 2 layer, select Filter > Stylize > Find Edges. Above the Image 2 layer, create a new Adjustment layer and set it to Invert. Right click this new layer and select 'Create clipping mask'. Do the same with a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer and move the Saturation value down to -100. It should look like this..
Remember to add a clipping mask to the Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer:
6. Turn off Image Layer 3, and set the Blending Mode of ‘Layer 2’ to 'Screen'. This shows you the effects you just applied.
7. Now, turn on Image Layer 3 and add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with -100 saturation like we did before. Right click the new adjustment layer, and create a clipping mask for ‘Image Layer 3’. Finally Set the Blending Mode of ‘Layer 3’ to Overlay and we are done creating a stylish blurred mosaic background for your image.