GTA 5 is a very hot topic at the moment with people trying to gain as much information as possible about the upcoming open world game.
However with times changing, multiplayer being a big part of games and story telling becoming better, this instalment in the series has to really live up to the others like GTA San Andreas and GTA 4.
Gameinformer were lucky enough to have exclusive info about the game and were able to even see footage of the game. However all this info is in their magazine which most people aren’t subscribed to. Videogamer instead took all the info from the magazine and put it into a neat list of bullet points which basically cover the 19 page cover story.
- GTA 5 “evolves nearly every mechanic” found in previous games in the series.
- Features the biggest open world in the series’ history – GTA 5’s world is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTA IV combined.
- Three playable characters who you can switch between “at nearly any time”.
- Each character has their own specific abilities and story arc, with all three stories intertwined.
- Camera zooms out to a “Google Earth-style” perspective when switching characters.
- Character 1 – Michael, an ex-bank robber in his early 40s who retired after making a deal with the FIB. He has two teenage children and hates his wife Amanda. He’s also the narrator of the original GTA 5 trailer.
- Character 2 – Trevor, a former war veteran and a “drugged out psychopath”. An experienced pilot.
- Character 3 – Franklin, a repo man in his mid 20s described as a “young and ambitious hustler”.
- Certain characters from GTA IV and Episodes From Liberty City will also make an appearance. Rockstar’s Dan Houser says we’ll never see characters from the PS2 era, though. “The five PS2 games are one universe, and this is the high definition universe, so they don’t co-exist,” he says.
- No major actors cast as any of the main characters.
- Focus on making more diverse missions.
- Heists and bank robberies are a big theme to the game.
- Characters will work together during missions, and you can switch between characters mid-mission to fulfill different roles. For example, during a chase sequence you can pilot the getaway helicopter as Trevor, snipe pursuing pilots as Franklin, or fire an assault rifle as Michael.
- Missions will have a “very different tone depending on who’s on them, how many people are on them, and how much we’re using switches”, says Houser.
- Even when you’re not controlling them, each character will still go about their own business across Los Santos. “You may be surprised by the situations they find themselves in should you switch back to check up on them,” says Game Informer.
- Big advances to lighting and shader model. Greater draw distance.
- Improved vehicle handling and physics – “The cars hold to the ground better… It feels more like a racing game,” Houser says.
- More vehicles than in any GTA to date, including BMXs, mountain bikes, road bikes, dirt bikes, cars, trucks, helicopters, planes, ATVs and Jet Skis, but vehicle manufacturers are still fictional.
- Fighter jets appear to be in. One screenshot shows a fighter equipped with missiles, as a helicopter explodes in the background.
- Improved shooting and melee combat. Melee combat “never going to be as big a deal as shooting,” though, warns Houser.
- Pedestrians are fully mo-capped and more interactive.
- You can rappel down buildings, although it’s not confirmed whether this is specific to certain missions.
- Los Santos is described as a “huge and diverse city”, combining the best of Red Dead Redemption’s “large open expanses” with GTA IV’s “densely packed urban environment”.
- Areas in the game world include beachfronts, mountains, the wilderness, a “Salton Sea” region, a military base and the suburbs.
- GTA: San Andreas was about gang culture. GTA 5 is about capturing the “contemporary culture of LA”.
- There will be a “vibrant and fun” economy, but you won’t be able to buy property.
- A variety of different side missions and “more sophisticated” minigames, including yoga, triathlons, Jet Skiing, base-jumping, tennis and golf. There’s a full golf course in the game. You can go scuba diving along the coastline of Los Santos, or go to the gym on the seafront.
- Each character will have unique hobbies, including “one or two key minigame activities per character”.
- San Andreas’ RPG-like player customization is still absent, but you can customize the clothing of each character.
- GTA IV’s romance feature has been removed.
- Like in GTA IV, players can make friends and hang out with certain NPCs, including Michael’s wife Amanda and son Jimmy, Franklin’s “crazy friend” Lamar, and Trevor’s mate Ron.
- GTA IV’s mobile phone returns, but a lot of its features have been altered. You can use it to access the internet.
- Dynamic missions – hidden missions dotted around the game world. “Going off-road in the desert, you may come across two parked cars and a sea of dead bodies around them… Investigate if you want.”
It’s hugely interesting what Rockstar are doing with the game, especially with their being three main characters which are all playable, unlike before where there was just one main player. From what I read in the magazine the reason for this so that you’re always part of the action. For example if all three characters are on a mission together, say in a random situation where one of the players has to come down a ladder because he’s trying to run away from some gangsters, instead of you playing the person and manually taking him down the ladder, you can switch to another character who may be sniping the gangsters, giving cover to the other character. It’s a way to always keep you in the action, instead of having to all the little things which just get boring.
One feature which I like the sound of is that there will now be music playing in the background when on a mission to make the whole thing more tense, like in films.
Even though the map may not be as big as previous games there is actually more to explore. You can now go into a lot more buildings which make up for a lot of the open world. Rockstar are saying it’s bigger than GTA San Andreas, GTA 4 and Red Dead Redemption combined.
I don’t know about you but I’m pretty excited for this.