If you didn't know already, UltraLinx runs on Wordpress. I've found Wordpress is probably the best way to run a blog like this. There are many other platforms out there but I what I like most about Wordpress is the wide array of plugins. There are so many plugins for nearly everything you can think of. Plugins help you easily enhance your website without having to learn any coding whatsoever, it's what makes it so easy.
However when opening your first Wordpress site, there are a number of must have plugins that will help your site run quicker, smoother and flawlessly.
Top Must Have Wordpress Plugins:
- Cache plugin - you have to get a cache plugin. I can't stress how important one of these are. It will help run your site a lot faster and will ease the amount of processes happening on the server which your site is hosted on. If you fail to have one your site can easily go down, believe me, I've experienced this first hand and it is very annoying.
- SEO plugin - For those who don't know what SEO is, it stands for Search Engine Optimization. Optimizing your site for search results is the best way to drive visitors to your site. It is the number 1 traffic referrer for nearly every site out there.
- Social Bookmarking Plugin - If you're not into coding, these kind of plugins will help you install Facebook like and Twitter tweet buttons to your posts. So when someone likes your content, they can easily share it which in turn becomes another traffic driver.
- Login Protection - If your website isn't properly protected scummy hackers will try to hack into your site. You want to protect your site, your brand and whatever else you have, so having some sort of security is vital.
- Comment System - The default comment system on Wordpress isn't really that great. I use Disqus on UltraLinx, which lets you login via Twitter, Facebook, Google account and others. You can also use the Facebook comment system.
- Backup Plugin - One of the most important plugins you will ever need. I experienced first hand on what it's like losing a site and not having a backup. Just get one and backup your site regularly, you will not regret it.
- Contact Plugin - Most Wordpress themes come with basic contact forms. But if you want to add more fields and advanced options to your contact form, it's definitely worth getting a contact plugin.