The wait is over. You can now get the untethered jailbreak for iPhone 4S and iPad 2, either on iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1. Some of the best and well-known iOS hackers came together on this mission to jailbreak the A5 devices. They ended up being called the "dream team" throughout the web.
They have put up a huge written post about the jailbreak but it's pretty lengthy and not really that simple for everyone.
I've written a simple 6 step tutorial which should enable you to quickly jailbreak your device.
How To Jailbreak
Devices and firmware supported:
- iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 (9a405 and 9a406)
- iPad 2 Wifi/GSM/CDMA running iOS 5.0.1
- This jailbreak will NOT unlock your phone. If you want to unlock your iPhone (make it SIM Free) it is recommended you stay on iOS 5.0. You may not be so lucky if you are on 5.0.1.
2. Connect your device to your Mac via USB.
3. Launch the Absinthe tool. You will be presented with a welcome window and you should see a "jailbreak" button.
4. Once you have everything connected and ready to go, hit the "jailbreak" button. Your device will now look it's restoring, it will even show "Restoring In Progress". Let it do its thing.
5. Once the restore is complete. Unlock your device and look for the "Absinthe" icon. It will be located on one of your homescreens. Hit the button, it will launch a website and then reboot your device. Once it has rebooted it will be replaced with the infamous Cydia button.
6. Enjoy your jailbroken device and tweak the crap out of it!
You can also check out this video tutorial. Clicking through the video you'll be able to read the description of it.
If you come across any problems, read the description of the video, a lot of the common problems people have come across have been solved.