Freelance design is a challenge, especially when it is a one man show. You have to handle wireframing, sketching, designing, contracts, and a whole other side to the business. Not to mention marketing and networking for yourself. So today I figured I would round up some tips and tricks for freelancers in a handy, resource filled post. Take some time to read, review, and bookmark these points. They are perfect reference points for various stages of your freelance design business.
Networking & Marketing
Networking and marketing are the two most important parts of getting your business off the ground. Surely you need some design talent, but without a solid strategy, no one will know about your business! Here are some tips to get started.
- Getting Your Design Work More Exposure - How to effectively market your design work so that it get’s some much needed expsosure.
- 5 Tips to Market on a Budget - Marketing when you don’t have much money, or time.
- Creative Ways for Designers to Market Themselves - Some unique ways designers have gone viral and got some additional exposure for their projects.
- Top 5 Places to Showcase Your Design Work - Best places to get the maximum exposure on your design work.
- 5 Simple Networking Tips for Freelancers – Unique ways that freelancers can start networking.
- Tips for using Behance to Promote Your Work – How I use behance to get new clients.
Design & Development
Design and development are the crafts that you assume for your job. Here are a bunch of useful tips, tricks, and resources for improving and bettering your skill set.
- 5 Most Impacting Ways to Improve Your Portfolio - Up your portfolio game and attract more clients to your work.
- 12 Quick Tips for New Designers – New to the job? Here are some easy tips to get started.
- How to Increase The Value of Your Design Work - Tips for getting more work from clients and increasing your value as a designer.
- Design Survival Guide – Tips and tricks for all facets of the designer.
Multiple Revenue Sources
Having multiple streams of income is important, especially for freelancers, here are some ways to diversify your income.
- Unique Ways for Designers to Make Extra Money - Here are some alternatives to freelancing so that you can diversify your income sources.
- Freelance Tips to Get More Clients - Land new clients and increase your income with these cool tips.
Whether these are legal templates, stock photos, or tools to speed your workflow, they are amazing and most are free!
- 5 Cool Sites to Find Free Stock Photos - The best free stock photo resources for designers.
- 8 Amazing Resources for Designers - Inspiration, tips, and free resources for designers.
- Top 50 Best Free Fonts - Tons of amazing free fonts to use and utilize in your design projects.
- Free Contract & Legal Templates for Freelancers – Some incredibly useful starting points for contracts and legal matters of the freelancer.
Inspiration & More
Some inspiration and tips to improve your creativity as a designer.
- 6 Creativity Tips for Freelancers - Tips to stay inspired and refreshed while working as a freelancer.
- Goals to Ease Improvement – Ways you can ease improvement by setting goals and sticking to them!
- F*ck You. Pay Me. – A Brilliant Talk by Mike Monteiro for Freelancers & Agencies
The UltraLinx Newsletter
Tips & tricks for freelance designers along with updates on freebies, new products, and the upcoming UltraLinx Design & Resource Store, all in one tidy Newsletter!