How To Delete/Hide Old & Embarrassing Posts/Updates from Facebook Timeline

How To Delete/Hide Old & Embarrassing Posts/Updates from Facebook Timeline

If you’ve had Facebook for years and have posts from quite a few years back, you’ll look back at them and think “oh my god, I can’t believe I said that”. This is definitely a problem for me and I’m sure is a problem for a lot of others.

Unfortunately there is no complete way to hide all these past posts. The only thing you can do is limit them to your Facebook friends. I don’t see this as a problem because most of my Facebook friends know me very well, and I know they won’t waste their time to just look at my old posts – you’re sad or a freak if you do.

How To Hide Old Posts

1. At the top right hit the arrow button next to the “Home” button, then go to “Privacy Settings”.

How To Delete/Hide Old & Embarrassing Posts/Updates from Facebook Timeline

2. Then scroll down and look for the “Limit the Audience for Past Posts”.

How To Delete/Hide Old & Embarrassing Posts/Updates from Facebook Timeline

3. Then hit “Manage Post Post Visibility”. You will be presented with this window.

How To Delete/Hide Old & Embarrassing Posts/Updates from Facebook Timeline

4. Then just hit “Limit Old Posts”.

Remember, it will only limit all your posts to your Facebook friends. Hopefully soon, Facebook will enable you to completely hide previous years from everyone, that’s a feature I definitely want.

Author

Oliur Rahman

Founder & CEO of UltraLinx oliur.com

Comments

1. Eric Beijner says:

I’m actually quite shocked that you wrote this. Why would you be ashamed of something you’ve done earlier in your life? Why hide it? That’s just wrong. It’s like you are removing stuff that make you look bad.

2. “It’s like you are removing stuff that make you look bad.”

That’s the point…

3. Van says:

I’m shocked that you’re so easily shocked.

4. Eric Beijner says:

Sorry if I take this quite seriously, but thats like removing stuff that reveals who you truly are. And on my moral compass thats wrong. But thats me, and people are different. I don’t hold a grudge or anything, just pointing it out ;)

5. STFU. DO you know how much facebook has changed? We are now friends with parents, employers, family… when it first started, no one gave two shits about what they posted, or at least I didn’t.. now everyone can easily see what I posted back in 2006. F that. Give me an option to hide an entire year please.

6. If there’s an option to completely hide the previous years from everyone then it isn’t really a timeline anymore :P

7. squire says:

Win all round!!

8. Max Bookman says:

@facebook-1185600027:disqus said it best.  When I joined FB in 2006, I was 17 years old.  My immature and inappropriate posts were something between me and my immature and inappropriate friends.  Now i’m in grad school, friends with people i plan on building professional relationships with – i’m friends with relatives, coworkers, everyone.  Sure, i could just delete a whole bunch of friends, but i shouldn’t have to do that, nor should I have to spend hours manually deleting posts!  Jeeze what is wrong with these people?
    I think a lot of this could be fixed with a simple option to hide entire years….they must have thought of that…right?

9. Same thing as Max Bookman.. hope there will be this option soon.. plus i dont get why people have to check out my whole entire life with a few clicks..

10. Anonymous says:

They shouldn’t be forcing-I mean “releasing” the change upon facebook users  – WITHOUT THE OPTION TO DELETE ALL OLD POSTS/HUGE CHUNKS OF POSTS AT A TIME – BUILT INTO IT ANYWAY!

11. Who I was 5 years ago does NOT reflect the young hardworking professional person that I am today, and I don’t need people I am now networking with to use that to judge ‘who I am.’ If you think people won’t judge you on what you did 5 years ago, (not for the better of your professional image) then you are idealistic at best and delusional at worst.

12. Max Bookman says:

@facebook-515707152:disqus , if I had it my way, folks would judge old posts for what they are.  But as long as people are unfairly judged by old posts on their Facebook, we should have the choice to share only what we want, and the choice to hide whole years that we don’t want to be unfairly judged by.

13. Tim Schnack says:

Anyone else remember when everyone was moving from myspace to facebook because it was so much simpler?? WTF happened to that?

14. Tim Schnack says:

That’s kind of the point… :P

15. Valentin Val says:

Is it possible to instantly delete all your historical posts ?