Dr Susan Weinschenk put a great video together pointing out 7 principles on how to make your website more engaging. Here is a summary of the points she mentions in the video (at the bottom).
- If people have too many choices they won’t choose at all.
- Social Validaton. Ratings and shares can really influence on whether a post will be read or not. Research has shown peers are more influential than experts.
- Scarcity. Less available items suddenly become more valuable to people. Such as gold and precious metals, the same applies to websites. Putting a banner up saying “3 days left” can trigger our brains to pay more attention.
- Food, sex or danger. Each of these trigger powerful actions.
- Power of faces. People respond to faces more than anything.
- Story. Putting information into story form helps our brain process it better, remembering and understanding the information is easier.
- Commitment. Showing commitment to visitors and users builds trust between the brand and the people.